FROM CONSERVATORIES/ EXECUTIVE MANSION/ WASHINGTON. by (FLORISTS, White House)

FROM CONSERVATORIES/ EXECUTIVE MANSION/ WASHINGTON. by (FLORISTS, White House)
Ephemera From the White House Florists.

FROM CONSERVATORIES/ EXECUTIVE MANSION/ WASHINGTON.

Washington, D.C. n.d. (ca.1900). This well preserved engraved gift or presentation card from the White House conservatories shows the mansion's conservatory extending off the west wing (where the offices of the West Wing are now) of the building in a vignette sized illustration of the building in its ellipse side setting; the card bears further engraving - a space for the address of a recipient and notice that the card accompanies "perishable flowers" that must be kept from "frost and extreme heat". President James Buchanan had the White House conservatory built in the mid 19th century in part to facilitate his niece Harriet Lane's role as his "first lady". Lane was well educated and a sophisticated hostess who filled the president's social events with flowers. That particular greenhouse burned in 1867, but was replaced with others, including a rose house. In 1902, under Theodore Roosevelt, and at the suggestion of Charles McKim, the conservatories were removed to make way for West Wing offices. This card would probably be from the late 19th century and demonstrates that flowers were not only grown for White House occasions, but also sent out as compliments, greetings, condolences, etc. Engraved card stock, 14.3 x 13.5 cm., printed on one side only with vignette slightly above center.

Book ID: 16601
Print this page View cart Price: GBP £90.00

 

Other items of possible interest…